Saturday, July 27, 2013

Book Review: Percy Jackson and The Olympians Series


Last week I started reading the first book: "Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief". Before reading these series all I knew about them was a blurry memory of the movie. The book is totally different from the movie and I made a comment about that in this POST. I finished the whole series (five books) in two weeks, and I consider that fast because I usually take half a week to a whole week to read one book, specially these ones because they are over 300 pages. All five books had the perfect amount of action and mystery, maybe the one thing that lacked over the first four books was romance, however it's acceptable because at the beginning Percy was only 12. The last book had a lot of action and the battle took about 80% of the book! Every quest was well written and planned, the characters were hilarious (specially Tyson), and the ending was perfect. 

When I was reading the first book I thought Hades was the bad guy (SPOILER) however, Hades turned out to be one of the good guys. The problem that led all of this to happen began with the god's ignorance towards the importance of their children. Dyonisious turned out to be a really good guy too. The ending was very surprising, I would never have thought that Luke could become good. He was just driven by his hate until he must have realized he was wrong. 

These series would've become a lot more popular if the movie had stuck to the book's plot, and if they had filmed the sequel right away rather than 3 years later. 

This series have been really good, and I would totally recommend it. Next stop: The Heroes of Olympus Series. I thought these series had other characters, but I read the description of "House of Hades" (book 4) and it mentioned Percy. So now I'm really excited to read them, just because of Percy and Annabeth. I really fell in love with those too. 

I can't get over the fact that I laughed A LOT with these book, primarily thanks to Tyson and his childish personality. Pony! he called Chiron, Chicken Pony! he called Blackjack and Fish Pony! he called Rainbow. That's what cracked me up the most. 

Books:
"Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief" 
"Percy Jackson and The Sea Monsters"
"Percy Jackson and The Titan's Curse"
"Percy Jackson and The Battle of the Labyrinth"
"Percy Jackson and The Last Olympian"

No comments:

Post a Comment