Friday, July 5, 2013

How to Come Up With Topics for Research Papers

I know several people that when they are able to chose a topic for an essay or a research paper they chose something really boring like World War II, or Abortion. The key to a successful paper is to write it about something you like. I've never written a paper about Racism or an Invasion when it's not mandatory. I always chose something I'm really interested in, that way I won't get bored researching about it. 

How to come up with an interesting topic? What are you into? Music, iPads, Dancing? Now combine that with:

History of (blank) 
Production of (blank)
Uses of (blank)
How to (blank)
Impacts of (blank) in society/children/future

And that's how you write an interesting paper for both you and your audience. 

For example, I have to write a research paper and I chose "History of Lego". 

"With more than 20 billion Lego bricks produced per year, more than 915 million ways to combine six Lego bricks and with a production of 306 million tyres a year, Lego, the world’s largest manufacturer brings joy to our children since 1932 (Lego Facts). Lego is a simple toy destined to become a complex structure. Kids, and even adults, from all around the world buy these simple plastic bricks in order to build bigger things such as a replica of the Eiffel Tower, or the Chinese Wall, or even Hogwarts from Harry Potter. We all know how successful the Lego brand is right now, but how did it all start?"

I learned lots of things about my favorite toy, and it's got enough facts for the professor to be satisfied. 

If you like Lego, you might also like this video:



No comments:

Post a Comment